1) In this weeks reading of Palanski and Simons (2012) article about authentic leadership, the authors hypothesize that authentic leadership has a positive impact on employees attitudes and job satisfaction. Do you agree with their hypothesis? What examples have you seen that refute or support their assertion?
REAL LIFE APPLICATION: Choose an authentic leader who has had a significant impact on you and discuss why this person made such a positive impact and how they have shaped your beliefs about effective leadership. Alternatively, describe a leader who has not led authentically, why this person had a negative impact on you, and how the experience has shaped your beliefs about effective leadership.
2) Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (25 points)
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010 provided comprehensive healthcare reform intended to improve healthcare access, contain healthcare costs, and improve healthcare delivery in the United States. In June 2012, the Supreme Court upheld virtually all of the provisions of ACA in a case that questioned its constitutionality. Review the major provisions of the ACA and then respond to the questions below.
- Do you agree with the Supreme Court decision? Support your response.
- What do you believe some of the challenges will be in implementing the provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010?
3) Amy and Lester are partners in operating a busy hardware store on Main Street in a large town. Without consulting Amy, Lester enters into a contract to purchase $50,000 of merchandise for the store. Amy contends that she did not authorize the order and refuses to pay for it. The vendee sues the partners for the contract price of the merchandise.
Partnerships may be combined with other forms of business. Discuss how Amy could have protected herself at the formation of the partnership by aIDressing the four topics of the partnership agreement, limited liability partnerships, S- corporations, and limited liability companies.