Prescription Medicines: The Other Drug War HE 362W Contemporary Health
Understanding USA Healthcare System
Frontline Website: http//www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/other/
- Why are people in the USA going to Canada to buy prescription medicines?
- What can state and federal governments take to keep drug prices down? Why are state governments interested in keeping prescription prices lower?
- Name 3 main arguments the pharmaceutical companies use to justify their high prices on drugs. How much percentage do pharmaceutical companies spend on R&D (research and development) and how much (percentage) do these same companies spend on advertising?
- What steps has PHARMA taken to stop states from influencing/controlling drug prices?
- What were the two options the federal government had in writing the Medicare Modernization Act (MMA)? Which version did PHARMA support? Which form actually passed in December 2003?
- What is the Oregon Preferred Drug List and how does it work?