Pathopharmacological Foundations for Advanced Nursing Practice
A. Investigate one of the following disease processes: traumatic brain injury, depression, obesity, asthma, or heart disease.
1. Analyze the pathophysiology of the disease process you selected in part A.
2. Discuss the standard of practice for the selected disease process.
a. Discuss the evidence-based pharmacological treatments in your state and how they affect management of the selected disease in your community.
b. Discuss clinical guidelines for assessment, diagnosis, and patient education for the selected disease process.
c. Compare the standard practice for managing the disease within your community with state or national practices.
3. Discuss characteristics of and resources for a patient who manages the selected disease well, including access to care, treatment options, life expectancy, and outcomes.
a. Analyze disparities between management of the selected disease on a national and international level.
4. Discuss three or four factors (e.g., financial resources, access to care, insured/uninsured, Medicare/Medicaid) that contribute to a patient being able to manage the selected disease
a. Explain how a lack of the factors discussed in part A4 leads to an unmanaged disease process.
i. Describe characteristics of a patient with the selected disease that is unmanaged.
B. Analyze how the selected disease process affects patients, families, and populations in your community.
1. Discuss the financial costs associated with the selected disease process for patients, families, and populations from diagnosis to treatment.
C. Discuss how you will promote best practices for managing the selected disease in your current healthcare organization.
1. Discuss three strategies you could use to implement best practices for managing the selected disease in your current healthcare organization.
2. Discuss an appropriate method to evaluate the implementation of each of the strategies from part C1.
D. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.